Hindi & Nepali adjective (feminine) meaning fat
- Large in bulk or size (person or thing)
- Something relatively bigger than something else
Hindi & Nepali noun (feminine) meaning fat one
- a nickname for a girl who is comparatively larger than you
- it can be a term of endearment: Moti, did you get lost? I have not seen you in such a long time! How are things?
- it can also be an insult: Get out of the way Moti!
In my case, “moti” was a nickname given to me when I lived in Nepal. Because of my comparative size to almost everyone around me, I was always moti. To be fair, most Nepalese people weigh around 100 - 140 lbs and are rather on the short side. I am about 5’9” and weigh more than 140lbs. So, most of the time I was moti compared to everyone else in the room.
Rather than sulking over this rather unfortunate nickname, which basically means “fatty”, I’ve decided to embrace it. Moti Eats is about the food I love, plain and simple.
PS - All photos © Moti Eats & the author of this blog unless otherwise noted. As these photos are under copyright, they cannot be reproduced without written permission from the copyright holder.